Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Going to School on the Bus

Ok, so we didn´t exactly go to school on the buses but we did come home on them. I had been planning on trying out the bus system here because it is 15 lmps cheaper per person than going in a taxi and is just as efficent. But I haven´t had the chance to go with a person that would know the system. So today being my first day at the school--- more on that later--- and this is the day Amanda works there I figured it would be the best. I think I´m going to like it. It is very doable and cost me and Tenisha half what it would cost in the taxi. I think that is going to be our afternoon ride.

The school was interesting to say the least. I was just planning on observing and see what I really needed to do to help the teachers the rest of this week. So I went unprepared of course that would happen. But the teacher who teaches the younger kids had to fill in for another class so I had two of them all by myself until break time when Amanda came to help me out. I had NO idea what to teach them but saw that it is going to take a LOT of organization-- I´ve got that one down-- and repetition for them to grasp the idea. I just didn´t feel super comfortable around either one of the teachers. I´m sure they partically fill like I´m ¨spying¨since Tenisha is in there and they both just got introuble for not teaching and then a young American prances in with actual lesson plans... yea I know what they´re thinking. The gringa wants to take over. Please be in prayer for this opportunity and for these teachers to be open and willing to accept my help and any advice I can give. I´m not giving up instead I´m stepping up to the challenge.

Tenisha has been good this afternoon we had a 2 hour tutor session and she´s got 1-100 down and adding so we´re going to step up the math stuff. We made a paper chain today to incorporate her counting skills. It is tracking when Robin will be back, the day Tenisha turns 12 and the day before I leave. It´s all very exciting. I´m not so sure she has the concept of it down yet but I´m sure after a couple of days she will understand a little better. We´re working on words... that is going to be the most difficult but I think she´ll be ok.

Overall things are going very well and yes I learned how to make the pastillitos so I will be making those when I come back to the states in 36 days. Seems crazy! Thanks again for all you have done in my life and for this adventure. Keep Praying! 1

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a good day! i'm so thankful and glad! you'll be a good teacher for tenisha and i bet those teachers at the school will warm up to you in no time! as for riding the bus, that sounds good! and i'm looking forward to some new food!
hugs and kisses
love u MORE!

Phillip said...

ooo you took the bus to school?!?!? was it the short one? ;) lol jk You taught a class! Thats awesome!! Bet that was hard. Well I'm praying for you teaching. Glad to hear Tenisha is learning. WOW just 36 days! I can't wait!! TTUS!!!

Jackie Rita said...

Phillip!! LOL so was it short?? Certainly praying for you. Love on Tenisha for me too. I know i said that in my last comment but I dont want you to forget :)

You will be an amazing teacher. Just breath and stay in the Fathers lap like you were talking about and everything will work out fine...Better than fine! More wonderful than you will even know!

Anonymous said...

Pastillitos? Can't wait! Thirty-six days sounds like forever! Especially when I'm just sitting behind this desk doing nothing all day! Miss you like crazy! Lisa